Call us now!

A warm crackling fire can be a delightful addition to any home during chilly winter evenings, offering both comfort and ambiance. 

However, ensuring your fireplace safety involves more than just lighting logs. 

Understanding what materials should never be burned in your chimney is crucial for maintaining a safe and efficient heating system. 

Check these 10 materials you must avoid putting in your chimney.

 

10 Materials Unsuitable for Use as Fuel | Fireplace Safety

 

1. Treated or Coated Wood

Burning coated or pressure-treated wood can release harmful chemicals into the air you breathe. 

For instance, wood treated to resist rot or insects may contain arsenic, while painted, stained, or varnished woods harbor additional chemicals, all of which emit toxic fumes when burned. 

Similarly, plywood should be avoided as the adhesives used in its manufacturing process release toxic fumes when burned.

 

2. Lighter Fluid

Avoid using lighter fluid, charcoal starter fluid, or any accelerant to ignite a fireplace fire. 

These products, which often contain methanol and petroleum-based chemicals, should not be used indoors due to the toxic fumes they produce. 

Furthermore, accelerants can lead to excessively high temperatures that may harm your chimney liner.

 

3. Cardboard

While cardboard may seem like a convenient fire starter, it’s often treated with chemicals, dyes, and glues. Burning cardboard can release harmful substances into the air and may cause floating embers to land on carpets or furniture, posing a fire risk.

 

4. Wet Firewood

To ensure your firewood is always ready for the fireplace, keeping it dry is crucial. Dry wood ignites more easily than damp wood and helps prevent excessive smoke and rapid creosote buildup in the chimney liner. 

Creosote buildup is a major contributor to chimney fires. While it’s impossible to eliminate creosote, burning only dry firewood and scheduling annual chimney cleanings can significantly reduce the risk of buildup.

 

5. Magazines and Colored Paper

Burning magazines, gift wrap, or coupon inserts in your fireplace is not recommended. The inks used in these materials release toxic fumes when burned, posing health risks. 

Instead, if you need to start a fire, use a couple of sheets of plain black-and-white newspaper tightly rolled beneath small bits of wood kindling.

Avoid burning large amounts of newspaper or any other non-approved materials, as burning paper can produce unwanted fumes and pose a fire risk. 

 

6. Evergreen Wood

Evergreen trees like pine, spruce, and cedar, including your used Christmas tree, have resinous properties that cause them to ignite rapidly and produce intense flames. 

While this may seem beneficial, these trees burn so rapidly that the fire is often extinguished quickly. 

Moreover, their high resin content contributes to the buildup of thick creosote deposits in your chimney over time. These deposits increase the risk of chimney fires, posing a potential hazard to your home.

 

7. Driftwood

If you’ve ever been to a beach party where driftwood was burned, you might have been fascinated by the vibrant lavender-blue flames it produced. 

However, these colorful flames are caused by metal salts absorbed by the wood during its time at sea, and the fumes they emit can be toxic. 

Due to this toxicity, many coastal communities have prohibited the burning of driftwood. It’s wise to follow their example and avoid burning wood collected from the beach in your fireplace.

 

8. Trash

It’s a common practice for people to throw empty plastic foam cups or used paper plates into an open fire. However, it’s important to break this habit immediately. Most consumer products contain chemicals that emit hazardous fumes when burned. 

Even worse, some of the most toxic items contain plastic, which releases toxins known as dioxins. Inhaling dioxins can lead to respiratory issues, headaches, internal organ damage, and potentially cancer. 

Additionally, lightweight burning debris can float out of the fireplace and land on surfaces in your home, posing a significant risk. It’s crucial to refrain from burning such materials for the safety of yourself and your household.

 

9. Leaves

While starting a fire at home using dried leaves might seem like a viable option, it’s not recommended. Leaves burn rapidly and produce intense heat, which can cause chimney flues and masonry to crack due to the sudden temperature change. 

Therefore, it’s advisable to use a chimney starter instead. On the other hand, wet leaves burn slowly, smolder, and generate a significant amount of smoke. This smoke leads to creosote buildup, increasing the risk of chimney fires.

 

10. Batteries

Decades ago, magazine ads promoted burning batteries in fireplaces as a method to prevent creosote formation, as burning zinc was thought to achieve this while producing colorful flames. 

However, with modern batteries, this practice is extremely dangerous. Modern batteries are prone to exploding under high heat, potentially causing severe chemical burns and emitting poisonous fumes. 

 

Conclusion

Prioritizing fireplace safety is important for every homeowner. Understanding the materials that should never be burned in your chimney is essential for maintaining a safe and efficient heating system.

Ready to ensure your fireplace and chimney are safe and sound? 

Contact us today for professional fireplace inspection and chimney cleaning services. Your safety is our priority, and we’re here to help keep your home cozy and secure. 

 

Reach out now to schedule an appointment!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *